It seems the change in seasons always creates an urge to purge.. especially in the spring and fall. The difference in fall is that if you don’t compost, you have a
lot more yard waste items to get rid of. The good news is that if you live in Mecklenburg County, the city will take a lot of it for you – but you must prepare it properly in order for them to do so.
Here are their requirements that are listed on their page:
How To Prepare Yard Waste For Collection:
- Place yard waste at the curb by 6:30 am on your scheduled collection day.
- Place yard waste within 2 feet of the curb and at least 3 feet away from other collection items (including other yard waste) and obstacles such as mailboxes, phone poles and vehicles, etc. Do not block the sidewalk.
- Please place yard waste at the curb no sooner than than the day before collection. A minimum $50 citation may be issued if you place yard waste at the curb sooner than the day before collection.
Note: Residents using their personal containers for yard waste collection, should use uncovered containers less than 32 gallons. Brush
- Brush should be no longer than 5 feet in length.
- Separate brush into piles that are small enough for one individual to handle.
Leaves must be placed in untied plastic bags for collection or placed in uncovered trash cans.
Limbs must be no longer than 5 feet in length and no larger than 4 inches in diameter.
Limbs should be separated in piles small enough for one individual to handle.
Limbs should not be tied.
Logs must be under 4 inches in diameter
Stumps will not be collected.
How To Prepare Recyclables For Collection:
- Rinse and remove all food/liquid residue from recyclable items
- Remove caps/lids from bottles and containers
- Do not bag recyclables. Place recyclables loosely in the recycling cart. Do not overfill the recycling cart. The cart lid must be closed.
- Cut (not fold) cardboard into three feet by three feet sections and place it in the recycling cart
- Place the recycling cart at the curb no sooner than the day before your scheduled collection day and no later than 6:30 am on collection day.
- Place the recycling cart within six feet of the curb and at least three feet away from the garbage rollout cart, yard waste and bulky items. Make sure it’s also three feet away from obstacles such as mailboxes, phone poles, vehicles, etc. Please do not block sidewalks with collection items.
- The recycling cart must be removed from the curb by midnight on the day of collection. A minimum $50 citation may be issued if you place the recycling cart out sooner than the day before your scheduled collection or leave it at the curb past midnight on your collection day.
How To Prepare Bulky Items For Collection:
- Please place bulky items at the curb by 6:30 am on your scheduled collection day.
- Place bulky items within six feet of the curb and at least three feet away from other collection items and obstacles such as mailboxes, phone poles, vehicles, etc. Do not block the sidewalk.
- Please do not put items curbside until the day before the scheduled collection. Items at the curb more than 24 hours before the scheduled collection could result in a fine of at least $50.
- All items must be free of food, clothing, trash, and flammable materials such as gasoline.
- Please remove doors from refrigerators and rims from tires.
Lara Taylor – Realtor/Broker
Twitter – @AskForLara