You have been wondering, maybe even dreaming of owning your own home. You just aren’t sure how it works, how you could afford it, what you have to do.
I was there once. When my husband and I bought our home, many moons ago, I was not in real estate, and I had the same questions. I asked my parents, and honestly, they weren’t sure where to start either…the times had changed.
Or, perhaps, you have been ready to move into a bigger house, but wondering what you can afford, and if you can sell your home. I can help with that too!
Well, no worries….here is where you start: contact a lender and get PRE-QUALIFIED.
I know, you may be saying, “But Lara, shouldn’t I go online and start looking for the house I like so I know how much it costs?”
No no no no no no….no.
You get pre-qualified first in order to find out:
- What you can afford (according to your income and debt)
- What your monthly payments will be (does this fit in your budget? if not, you may need to go down in price, even if you qualify for more)
- If there are any surprises on your credit (Oh, you didn’t open that Target card? Apparently your identity was stolen, you need to get that fixed before you can buy a house—THIS HAPPENED TO ME!)
- What you need to do to “clean up” your credit (or get a high five for having great credit already!)
- Do you have all the money you need for the down payment (if not, make a plan on how to get it/save for it)?
- Do you need to ask the seller to pay closing costs?
These are all things a lender will help you with! Trust me, it is wonderful peace of mind to know that when you find “the one” that it is in your price range, and you can afford it, so you are not heartbroken!
So, don’t get discouraged when I ask, “are you pre-qualified?” I am honestly looking out for your best interest. If you do not know who to contact, contact me and I will help you!